The Essential Thyroid Cookbook: Over 100 Nourishing Recipes for Thriving with Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's
Published September 19th 2017 by Blue Wheel Press, LLC
ISBN;0991170504 (ISBN13: 9780991170500)
BLURB: Lisa Markley, MS, RDN and Jill Grunewald, HNC have created a groundbreaking and scientifically supported cookbook for those with Hashimoto’s (autoimmune hypothyroidism). It’s masterfully written and will support you for a lifetime of peak thyroid health no matter where you currently are on your wellness journey. This long-awaited volume is a book within a cookbook – it contains a substantive educational component as well as over 100 original ''food as medicine'' recipes that not only satisfy and delight your taste buds, but also provide you with maximum nourishment for your thyroid and immune system and help you translate simple, thyroid- and immune-supportive nutrition to your plate.
Hashimoto's is the most common autoimmune disease and thyroid problems are among the most prevalent yet overlooked conditions that compromise women's wellbeing. (Additionally, men are being diagnosed in increasing numbers.) With their combined 20 years of nutrition and culinary wisdom, the authors have a mission to help those with Hashimoto’s reclaim their health.
Additionally, the recipes:
- Emphasize nutrient-dense, whole food ingredients full of color and flavor
- Are gluten-free, dairy-free, and free of refined sugars and other highly processed ingredients
- Are targeted to the home cook and easy to prepare; many can be made in 30 minutes or less
- Are thoughtfully created to appeal to all palates
- Contain sensible adaptations, whenever possible, to fit dietary practices commonly used to address thyroid imbalances and autoimmunity, such as Paleo and Autoimmune Protocol (AIP)
In this cookbook, you'll also discover well-researched and practical education about:
- Root causes of Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism
- Key nutrients known to boost thyroid and immune function and their food sources
- The connection between digestive health and thyroid imbalances
- Nutrition and lifestyle strategies for taming autoimmunity
- A discussion on ''goitrogenic'' foods, soy, and the dangers of ''low carb'' for those with hypothyroidism
- How to determine if certain foods may be triggering inflammation and autoimmunity
- Much, much more
My rating: 3,5 stars
The book is oriented toward the holistic side, gluten-free, and dairy-free., also Paleo diet. The first part is information about the disease and a lot of quotes about what other experts had to say about it, and about how the income of certain element can affect the balance of the functioning of the body.
Thyroid hormones affect our health systemically and directly act on the brain, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, bone metabolism, red blood cell metabolism, gallbladder and liver function, steroid hormone production, glucose metabolism, protein metabolism, neuromuscular function, digestion, and body temperature regulation.
At the begining was a little boring to my taste, with info that didn't interest me, but then come to be more like a guide / compendium of vitamins and food more informative.
When it comes to diet, there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
Well, thanks for that, because I agree.
The part about recipes contain smoochies, and salads, some principal dishes and sweet snacks. Some things in there -like ghee- are first time I heard of, and I really don't think are easily avalaible, and some are expensive, but the recipes give space for some changes. In all, not very impressive, but it give me some ideas. Each recipe give a table of the nutrients provided and not exceed more than 30 minutes to prepare.
No se trata para nada de algo que yo normalmente leería, sin embargo en virtud de cumplir con parte del reto popsugar de este año (reto #19 un libro acerca de comida), y algo por curiosidad, decidi emprender la tarea.
Resulta más que nada en mi caso como una suerte de resumen y citas de otros profesionales acerca de la enfermedad de Hashimoto, y de las variables que influyen en la alimentación sobre esa enfermedad y otras enfermedades autoinmunes. Muy educativo en ese sentido.
+Digital arc gently provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review+