domingo, 21 de marzo de 2021

Reseña: Counting to D by Kate Scott



Counting to D 

by 

Kate Scott

227 pages

Published February 11th 2014 by Elliott Books (first published January 28th 2014)
ISBN: 098959470X (ISBN13: 9780989594707)
Edition Language: English

BLURB: The kids at Sam’s school never knew if they should make fun of her for being too smart or too dumb. That’s what it means to be dyslexic, smart, and illiterate. Sam is sick of it. So when her mom gets a job in a faraway city, Sam decides not to tell anyone about her little illiteracy problem. Without her paradox of a reputation, she falls in with a new group of highly competitive friends who call themselves the Brain Trust. When she meets Nate, her charming valedictorian lab partner, she declares her new reality perfect. But in order to keep it that way, she has to keep her learning disability a secret. The books are stacked against her and so are the lies. Sam’s got to get the grades, get the guy, and get it straight—without being able to read.

 
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Una lectura muy agradable.

Samantha Wilson es una niña de 15 años que toma 5 clases avanzadas en la escuela secundaria, es un genio en matemáticas y también es analfabeta. Ella tiene dislexia.

Estaba buscando un libro sobre neurodivergencia para un desafío, y encontré este por casualidad, por lo que estoy agradecida porque me gustó bastante.

Cuando comienza la historia, Sam está teniendo un pequeño ataque de ansiedad porque su madre, después de un tiempo sin trabajar, ha encontrado trabajo en Oregon y deben mudarse. Esto representa una nueva escuela, pero más que nada la deja sin su red de apoyo: sus dos mejores amigas. Sin embargo, luego también decide empezar de cero, con personas que no se burlan de ella por ser idiota por no saber leer, y de ahí esconder su problema.

 


 Luego viene toda esa parte típica de la escuela secundaria, el chico guapo, los pequeños grupos, la envidia, la competencia académica. Y aunque confieso que no me gusta en gran parte el interés romántico, e incluso sospecho de él por algunas cosas (ver spoiler), el libro logró mantener mi atención sobre todo para Sam y las otras chicas.

Sam, como la mayoría de la gente, siente el peso de muchas cosas sobre ella, y especialmente el abandono de su padre a quien adoraba.

Pero aunque Sam ha evitado afrontar directamente el problema de su lectura, ve que es hora de hacerlo. Como contar.

"Hay tantas cosas que no entiendo y que no puedo controlar. Con las matemáticas, es diferente. Los números son ordenados y nítidos. Tienen sentido. Se sienten seguros. Yo era un niño cuando comencé, solo dos o tres años. Empiezo a contar. Cada vez que la vida llegaba a ser más de lo que podía soportar, me arrastraba dentro de mí y bloqueaba todo lo demás ".

Ah, y aquí tenemos nerds malos;) y buenas chicas a la moda, ¡imagínate! hablando de prejuicios.



&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

A very enjoyable read.

Samantha Wilson is a 15-year-old girl who takes 5 advanced classes in high school, is a genius in math, and is also illiterate. She has dyslexia.

I was looking for a book on neurodivergence for a challenge, and came across this one by chance, for which I am grateful as I quite liked it.

When the story begins, Sam is having a small anxiety attack because her mother, after some time off work, has found work in Oregon and they must move. This represents a new school, but more than anything it leaves her without her support network: her two best friends. However, then she also decides to start from scratch, with people who do not make fun of her for being an idiot for not being able to read, hence hiding her problem.

He called me a retard in front of everyone. It was meant, but it was also kind of true. I had a learning disability, a very serious learning disability. And people with serious disabilities are disabled. I was disabled. *Retard* is a dirty word that nobody is supposed to say, but all it means is "disabled". So it was true.

I tried to pretend it wasn't. I tried to prove to everyone how smart I was. How special I was. Special. Yeah, I was that too. A *special* student on her way to special education. *Special* was a nicer word than *retard*--it was even nicer than *disabled*, but it meant the same thing. *Special* means "different". *Special* meant "not good enought". That was me, not good enought.



Then comes all that typical high school part, the handsome boy, the little groups, envy, academic competition. And although I confess that I do not like the romantic interest in great part, and I even suspect him for some things (view spoiler), the book managed to keep my attention Especially for Sam and the other girls.

Sam, like most people, feels the weight of many things on her, and especially the abandonment of her father whom she adored.

But although Sam has avoided directly facing the problem of her reading, she sees that it is time to do it. Like counting.

"There are so many things I don't understand, and that I can't control. With math, it's different. Numbers are orderly and neat. They make sense. They feel safe. I was a toddler when I started , only two or three years old. I just start counting. Anytime life got to be more than I could handle, I'd crawl inside myself and block everything else out."

Oh and we got mean nerds here ;) and good fashionable girls, imagine that! talking abut prejudices.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario